Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Writing a book (sort of)

I do a preparation class to prepare applicants for the A&P exam. For years, this has been mostly a powerpoint presentation. (yawn) Anyway, it occurs to me that this takes forever, and doesn't even cover enough material to properly prepare for the oral portion of the exam. I would like to spend more time on the "hands on" part of the prep class. In other words, I need more time to show people how to bang rivets, play with magnetos, do a 100-hour inspection and things that are really more useful.
I thought about simply buying books that I could pass out to new students, and there are several O&P guides out there, but all the ones I read are way off-base. The written test guides are very accurate, but the oral and practical guides that are out there are practically useless. So the only thing is to write my own. I have finished the General section booklet, and have started the Airframe section. As you can imagine, it's a big job. Like the rednecks say, I have to just "git 'er done". This is really pretty good advice for everyone and almost every situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment